Are there times when you feel grumpy for unexplainable reasons? Perhaps there are moments in your life when you experienced depression and anxiety.
In this article, we will discuss the significance of eating the right kinds of foods to boost and uplift your mood, and some ways for you to keep negativity away by eating these good foods.
The Significance of Healthy Eating to Be Happy
Nourishing our body from the inside through healthy eating makes a great difference – not only in our overall health, but more importantly, in sustaining the chemicals and biological processes in our body systems that make us feel good and improve performance.
Well, it is true that “you are what you eat”, as literally you will notice that what you eat or don’t eat for breakfast will affect how well you feel, how much energy you have, and how clearly you think by late afternoon.
Also, it might affect how well you sleep at night, which then affects how alert and energetic you are the next day. Notice that if you overindulge in eating junk foods for several days or weeks, there are moments when you become over sensitive and moody. But when you eat a well-balanced diet, you will feel that you have tons of energy, you sleep better, and you are able to think clearly.
Research and studies have shown that there are more than 40 nutrients and more than 12,000 phytonutrients in foods that your body and brain can’t make by itself but require to function perfectly. The amount and balance of those thousands of nutrients determine your levels of happiness or sadness, forgetfulness (memory), energy or lethargy, state of health, and your mood.
Your Guide to Eat Well and Feel Good
The body thrives on necessary food and nutrients, and timing your consumption of these mood-boosting foods can be one of life’s most permanent uplifting experiences.
If you delay gratification from eating unhealthy food choices such as sweet chocolate candy bar or salty potato chips, and replace these with nourishing foods which are known to improve mood, burn fats, and replenish you with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants; you will be surprised at how your body and mind will turn out to be the best versions of themselves.
Below is a list of things that you can do to be happy in terms of eating healthy and nutritious foods based on Elizabeth Somer’s book “Eat Your Way to Happiness”:
1. Focus on eating real and organic food, not processed junk.
2. Follow the 1-2-3 Rule at breakfast so that your meal consists of 1 part fats, 2 parts protein, and 3 parts carbohydrates.
3. Choose quality carbs and toss the refined stuff.
4. Use the 6% solution to rein in a sweet tooth. This means that in order to satisfy your sweet cravings, allocate 6% of your food intake to healthy desserts or alternative snacks.
5. Sprinkle the diet everyday with a few super mood foods such as healthy nuts, oily fish, oats, bananas, lentils, chicken and turkey, spinach, etc.
6. Include more mood-boosting fats. Go to this page for reference.
7. Accent the positive by taking the right supplements.
8. Include a few of the right vices in the weekly diet.
9. Get smart about the which beverages and how much to drink.
10. End the day with the right meal.
“The mind is willing, but the body is weak”, is a saying that can aptly describe our condition when we have the right attitude but have a bad diet. Help your body catch up with your head. Proper diet, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle are all essential in order to maintain a happy and positive state of mind. So eat well!